About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Thursday, February 3, 2011

MATRIARCH, PATRIARCH and The Family
























(below) MATERNAL GRANDMOTHER

4 comments:

Judy Roney said...

I like these distinctions for your trees. Before we downsized recently we had a large property in the country. I was so enthralled by all the beautiful trees and the variety of them that I named a lot of them. That was weird (perhaps) but fun. Then during a storm that took down Thelma AND Louise, I decided not to name my trees any more. I have to admit Thelma and Louise were aptly named though.

Joan Ellen Gage Admin said...

You seem to have a personal relationship with these trees. Have you known them throughout their lives?

Nancy Simpson said...

Hello Judy and Joan Ellen, Thanks. I can only say I feel
a kinship to trees. They give us oxygen and we give them CO2. We cannot live without oxygen and they cannot live without CO2.

It was after I took the pictures that I saw the two parent trees and seemed like their family behind them. It's that quirky way of thinking that I do.

I hope to see both of you sometime in the spring or summer. Thanks for keeping in touch.

Anonymous said...

Are these more "poet trees"? I'm sure you have a poem in you about them.
Miss you!
Karen Holmes