About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Celebrating National Poetry Month APRIL 2013

I am wishing you and yours a happy National Poetry Month.My main goal for the month of April  is to celebrate your poetry and mine.

Send your poems honoring  life itself and the human spirit. There will be daily posts on this site chosen from the poems submitted. Please send already published poems and give credit
to the magazine or press who first published your poem. 

Visit often and please  tell your friends and family to visit. There is still misunderstanding about poetry by some Americans. None the less, we have National Poetry Month, and we have a brief chance to celebrate. 

For me, poetry reflects the human condition. Practicing poetry offers me and other poets an opportunity  to learn how to live in this world and sometimes even the opportunity to learn how to die.  Here is my poem, "April Rain" which was chosen by Kathryn Stripling Byer for inclusion in the anthology, LIGHTS IN THE MOUNTAINS (2003). It was also featured on 
YOUR DAILY POEM during April 2012.


APRIL RAIN by Nancy Simpson
In memory of my father
who loved to sit on a covered deck
and watch rain, I sit sheltered
and sip coffee on my covered deck
high on Cherry Mountain.
Near treetops I sing louder than
the downpour that falls inches from me.
"You like my new house?" I trill
above the spill of raindrops.
Mr. Whiskers asleep on my feet
under the wicker seat, wakes.
He thinks my song is for him.
I look deep into gray mist, eye to eye
with thin green leaves of a thousand trees
and sing welcome to white blossoms
on dogwood trees no one planted.
I am singing. I am singing to my father
who loved to sit close to rain.


This poem first appeared in Lights in the Mountains: Stories, Essays and Poems by Writers
Living In and Inspired by the Southern Appalachian Mountains 
(Winding Path Publishing, 2003).
Used on YOUR DAIY POEM with the author’s permission.


http://www.yourdailypoem.com/listpoem.jsp?poem_id=696
Your Daily Poem comments by readers 

No comments: