About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow in the Southern Appalachian Mountains and Folks are Slipping and Sliding in Atlanta


  I'm snowed in again. This is not all that unusual for the first few weeks of January, but I can't help but think about it. It looks like a repeat of last winter, which was extreme. It looks like "White Christmas" without the decorations.  It's  bit much for our part of the southern Appalachian mountains to have snow in Dec., Jan., Feb. and March like last winter.


 Already this season we have had snow in Nov., twice in December including a grand White Christmas. Here on January 11th, we've already had additional snow three times: It snowed Friday and covered the ground, but melted and I was able to go do my exercise. It snowed six inches during the night on  Sunday, Monday (Jan10) more and snow to wintery mix today on Tuesday, Nov. 11.  My drive down the mountain is impassible. I don't know when I'll get out of here. It makes me think of the true Appalachian people. They endured because they are strong.


Jauary 10, 2011. That is not dandruff on Sasha's coat. It's snowing on her inside the covered deck. She loves it. She wears
several extra coats.




In Atlanta, where I have a number of loved ones, it is treacherous, even now.   Yesterday, Jan.10th,  I sat in front of the t.v. all day hoping my children there were safe. The announcers kept saying "first snow".

At this moment, Nov. 11th, the t.v. is blaring news of Atlanta's Interstate highways blocked. Semi trucks jack knifed and a swarm of trucks have sat at standstill for over twenty four hours.  It looks like one giant truck stop. The word treacherous is being used over and over again by every announcer.

Back on the homefront, I have everything I need, including water, food, heat and four furry friends.

This is an adorable puppy that was lost, stranded on the mountain several times this winter. She has spent more than one night in my house on freezing nights.  The first night I let her in was in December when it was five degrees.  Now, I suspect  she thinks she lives here.  Below, Nugget and Smoky aka MR. Whiskers.





2 comments:

Judy Roney said...

I am here for a bit and experiencing this winter wonderland you speak of, Nancy. It is amazing. Driving..not so good. LOL (This from one stuck in her drive way at the moment.) I'm glad you were ready for this weather and had your provisions.
It sure is beautiful there above the frostline.

Nancy Simpson said...

Judy, Here on Friday Morning, every snowflake that fell is still here, everything on this mountain still covered with deep snow.It is going to warm up today. I do not know how long it will take the snow and ice to melt. Locals call telling me that all the roads in the valley are clear now and that "Uncle" dug them out of their driveway.

Up here, it is beautiful, the sun is shining, skies are blue.