About Me

My photo
Nancy Simpson's LIVING ABOVE THE FROST LINE, New and Selected Poems was published by Carolina Wren Press (N.C. Laureate Series, 2010.) She is the author of ACROSS WATER and NIGHT STUDENT, State Street Press, still available on WWW at Alibris and Books Again. Her poems have been published in Southern Poetry Review, Prairie Schooner, The Georgia Review and other literary magazines. "Carolina Bluebirds" was published in THE POETS GUIDE TO THE BIRDS, Anhinga Press). "Grass" was reprinted in the 50th Anniversary Issue of Southern Poetry Review: DON'T LEAVE HUNGRY ( U.of Arkansas Press.) Seven poems were reprinted in the textbook, SOUTHERN APPALACHIAN POETRY,(McFarland.) Two poems were published in SOLO CAFE, Two more poems were published in SOLO NOVO."In the Nantahala Gorge" was published in Pisgah Review. "Studying Winter" was reprinted in Pirene's Fountain Anthology and "The Collection" in Collecting Life Anthology. Most recently, Southern Poetry Review Edited by James Smith, published "Our Great Depression," and The Southern Poetry Anthology Vol. VII: NORTH CAROLINA,Edited by William Wright, reprinted "Leaving in the Dead of Winter."

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Harvest Moon October 3-4, 2009

Oct 3-4, 2009 Harvest Moon. Image courtesy of NASA.



It's Harvest Moon time
with the full moon occuring early on Sunday, October 4, 2009. The moons were named for us by Native Americans long ago. They depended on the full moon to light the way in their gathering of ripening crops. For some, the Harvest Moon is party time because work in the fields is done. Your next chance to see the Harvest Moon will be October 2017.

If you miss it tonight, check the setting moon Sunday morning
before sun up.



4 comments:

Sam Hoffer / My Carolina Kitchen said...

Yes, the leaves are beginning to change and there's fall in the air. I love a full moon. When we lived in the islands we had to be careful because they affected the tides, making them extra high and extra low. Believe me, going aground in a boat at low tide is no fun.
Sam

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Sam, I miss you and wish I could see you. Soon I hope. Thanks for your comment. I know about the moon and tides, having been born and raised in Miami. Once when deep sea fishing with my father, uncle and Otis, (who ever he was) we ran aground. It was not more than five, and very excited, maybe scared. I imgind pirates coming across the dunes after us. To this do, I do not know how they got that big boat back in the water. Also, I have lots of fond memories of visiting my Atlanta cousin. I was one year older than her. As teens she asked me hundreds of questions about "What is pizza?" and
wanted to know where I got my peddle Pushers. One dreamy night when I was just dropping off to sleep, she whispered, "Tell me about the moon and the tides."

Glenda Council Beall said...

I saw that gorgeous moon this weekend and I'm glad you made a photo, Nancy. We watched it as we came home from dinner out, and then watched it through the woods until it sailed on high.
I love a full moon and I didn't know this was a "harvest moon."

Nancy Simpson said...

Hi Glenda, That is NASA's image. No one can beat them when it comes to capturing the moon. It's been too cloudy here to get a shot, but I have seen the moon weavng in and out among the clouds or the clouds themselves dancing around the moon. Every time I looked there was a lot of movement, like the earth is flying thorough space, which it is, of course. A couple of nights I could not sleep because of the brightness, so I gave up and went out on my deck to pay my respects to the Harvest Moon.